Sunday, January 25, 2009

Option Flashback

If you're an Option Video fan like myself, you've probably noticed that over the past few years, Option Video is almost now exclusively covering D1. While I am a D1 fan, I certain miss what Option Video used to cover in the past. Many people ask me which ones to buy, or which volumes contain what because I have quite a large collection of old, new and rare Japanese DVD's. To satiate the demand of the masses, I will now try to do reviews of exciting or especially important Option DVD's, Drift Tengoku's and other videos which are well worth a watch, or even a purchase. To start, we will review Option Video vol. 89.

This volume of Option video covers lots of ground, as many of the old ones do. It pretty much has something for everybody, especially AE86 and S13 fans. If you've watched some old volumes, you may recognize the guy above. I'll have to get the translation of his name, but he's been seen in multiple volumes and is a simple grassroots AE86 fanatic. He is usually touted as the grumpy, cynical co-hort of Orido and Akira Iida's Mitto Natto crew, but in this episode we get to visit him more in dept.

Here, we can see that AE86 fanatics all over the world have garages that all pretty much look the same. We see that he's just a regular guy, with a normal day job and a wife and kid to boot. Yet he still finds time....

To build this thing. I'd be lying if I said this thing wasn't one of the visual influences I had in mind when I started to build my car.


Like any REAL AE86 fanatic, he also drives the car. This is from him hitting up his local togue, but in other volumes he does one make races and many open track days.


Old Option isn't complete without some Orido hijinks. Here, we see him actually participating in a Super Taiku race in this livery. Talk about an interesting race series. In addition, they go relatively in depth by showing the suspensions, engines, and various chassis setups that his Altezza runs, as well as a few other cars.


Most importantly, they also show Orido in the heat of battle. He may look silly in the photos, but he's all business when its game time. In the opening lap before the 3rd corner, he passes about 4 people.



When I say there's something for everyone, I really mean it. Here's a bit about Keiichi searching for the next D1 Grand Prix girls. Keiichi at his comedic finest.


Finally, we have the centerpiece of this issue, which is a history of Koguchi. If you guys don't know who Yoshinori Koguchi is, you better ask somebody. Or, I can tell you. Anyhow Yoshinori Koguchi is probably one of the most celebrated drifters in the community. Anybody who followed D1 from its inception will recognize this guy and most find him to be quite captivating. To most of us, he captures the true essence of drifting. His style and vehicle construction truly reflect what it means to be a drifter. I'm not even an S13 guy but sweet jesus do I find him entertaining to watch and I do love his builds.


Does anyone even remember when his car looked like this?
The story covers Koguchi from the first time Option Video filmed him during an Ikaten competition while he was in his nearly stock S13, and covers ground all the way to the timeframe of when his S13 had the green and white Falken livery. Truly an interesting piece.
This issue is just a small sample of how exciting some of the older volumes of Option really are. Its become quite difficult to get some of the older volumes, but they are out there. I happened to pick this one up used at a Japanese book store for $3! Anyhow good luck and stay tuned for more review of exciting videos!


No comments: