Monday, December 10, 2012

Cooling Blues

The last track outing I had was a blast, but wasn't without its setbacks. Leaving my car in storage for the past 2  years definitely took its toll, and showed me what I needed to fix/improve on. It was my first time with my new suspension components, engine tune, and brakes.
 The issue with open track event was with my cooling system. I always bought parts that were overkill for the car, so that I could beat on it without any worries of breaking anything. My cooling system (minus the massive oil cooler) has always been "adequate" but for some reason, the car was overheating after about  3 consecutive laps at the Streets of Willow.

I was using an OEM 2-row, which up till this point, has been great. I still recommend one to anyone with an AE86. However, since the fluid was brown I wasn't sure if its condition or the fluid in the car. I decided to do a full flush on the system, and at the same time hunt for a new radiator
OEM 2-Row AE86 radiator, brass, with my Flex-A-Lite fans
There are actually several choices for performance radiators for the AE86. I specifically looked at 4 different ones: Griffin, Koyo, Chinese copies of Koyo (including Mishimoto), and OEM rebuilt.

The Griffin, as explored by this article (http://www.driftday.com/Griffin%20test.htm) seemed like the top choice for me. However, Griffin apparently doesn't stock this radiator, and I heard some horror stories about them sending out multiple radiators that simply didn't fit at all.

I considered an OEM rebuilt, from a local radiator shop. These shops seem to be dying, since most radiators these days are plastic. The one I spoke with has been around for a while, but the guy was kind of a jerk. He quoted me $80-$120 depending on what needed to be done. I always love customer stuff, so this stayed on my radar.

The Chinese copies have come a long way. You can find them on Ebay now for around $100. I've always stayed away from these though, as I always felt a bit uneasy about putting my car's safety as well as my own in their hands.

The last choice, the Koyo, was something I had pondered in the past. Luckily I found one for the right price. It wasn't my first choice, but considering their racing history and their attention to detail and quality, it became my choice.
Koyo, so fresh and so clean, right out of the box.
The radiator itself is pretty thick. Its 2-row, all aluminum. The first thing I noticed was the weight. It was a lot lighter than my brass 2-row. The construction was top notch. Fitment was a bit tight, but still went in without any real problems. I had to trim the upper radiator hose since the radiator neck is a tad bit closer to the engine due to the increased width. I installed my fans, and also noticed they are a lot closer to the water pump pulley than before.
OEM 2-row out...


New 2-row Koyo in!
After flushing the system the prior day with Johnny Mac (thanks again!), we found that a lot of the water was totally brown. We flushed out all the nasty brown water and replaced it with clean distilled water with some water wetter. With fresh water and a new radiator, I hope everything is now going to be alright. There's an Extreme Speed track event this weekend, so hopefully I'll get to test everything out!

4 comments:

Football Tribune said...

If I follow her footsteps, I may not obtain the level of happiness that she has.
  nike nfl jerseys

Austin Robert said...

Best quality homework help, online tutoring, college homework help, test prep in maths, science, computers, business and more. From Basic to advanced.

Austin Best said...

Best Assignment help and homework help provider,over 10,000 assignments delivered.Nearly 4,000 hours of Online Tutoring serviced counting. Get Expert Help Now

callingnew said...

“Also, I’m quite sure that the school lunch system is based on a scientific understanding of nutrition – the very system that says there is no “optimal” way to eat, and that eating what is popularly regarded as a healthy diet (salad, salad,

ter