Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Monterey Historics '08







There are certain things you must do as an automotive enthusiast, and one of them is to visit the Monterey Historical Races. If you're a car nut and especially a race car fanatic, then this is definately the place for you. I must admit that its only been over the past few years that I've become enamored with vintage race machines (partially because some may consider my car "vintage") but the Monterey Historics welcome anybody at any enthusiasm level.










There are thousands of people who come to this event, and often times they travel from all around the globe. This even is pretty much the closest thing we have to the "Goodwood Festival of Speed" and it actually has a flavor all its own. We saw multiple celebrities, including Kazunor Yamauchi, the creator of the Gran Turismo racing series, Mario Andretti, and Timo Glock. Vic Edelbrock was even there racing his vintage Corvette in the Trans Am group, and to see an owner of a performance parts company enjoying himself and racing truely does bring warmth to my heart. Considering how many passionless buisnessmen there are in the industry, its refreshing to see that some people are in it because they love it.

Aside from some of the celebrities at the race, it was perhaps most exciting for me to see vintage Formula 1 cars. I'm not sure you can really consider yourself to be a race fan if you don't in some way shape or form drool at the sight of the Tyrell 6-wheeler or perhaps cry in glorious ecstacy at the sound of a 1960's Ferrari V-12.















Ever since I became friends with Alex Pfeiffer, I became interested in Porsches. That guy has so many race stories and a lot of them revolve around Porsches. In addition, since Steve McQueen's Le Mans is easily one of my favorite films of all time, it only followed that Porsches started to peak my interest. The Historics were full of vintage race Porches. Some were mildly prepared, and some were fire breathing weapons of mass destruction.




I also have a fetish for race car interiors. Something about spartan-esque, stripped down interiors, mechanical instrumentation, and medevil metal adorning the cockpit of vehicles that excites me. Is it a wonder then that I enjoy leather clad women and bondage?
Its cars like this that inspired the color scheme of my car.
I really can't express enough how much of a blast this was. Please check out the rest of the gallery and let me know what you think!
The rest of the gallery can be found here

No comments: